Music as a Foreign Language

I chaperoned the eighth grade graduation dance last night. Served soft drinks, swabbed up spills, discarded trash, and gawked freely at their generation since I was invisible to them (unless they needed more root beer). Two observations: first, I couldn't understand a single word of the music. How can they get the lyrics when I can't hear anything comprehensible? This inability to understand teen-song-language made me feel more "other" than I have in a long time. Second: kids know how to have fun together. As long as they have a couple of buddies, they don't need too many other accoutrements. We grownups could learn a lesson or two about inexpensive fun from them, even as we keep buying ourselves and them bigger and cooler toys. It's all about relationships.

No comments: