The Horror Of A Repeat Dress

At my senior prom in California a gazillion years ago, I turned up wearing the same dress as another girl (who looked better in it than me, unfortunately). I spent the entire night avoiding this stranger, my cheeks burning with humiliation. I remembered the intensity of my misery when I read about Reese Witherspoon accidentally wearing the same Chanel dress that Kirsten Dunst once wore. This has been described as a "debacle" and a "fashion faux pas."

Maintaining your cool factor in the competitive, fickle world of pop culture means you must be perceived as trend-setting and unique. Imitating another person's style exactly is a sign that you're losing your edge. That's why Dunst was probably tickled by what was deemed a disaster for Witherspoon — Kirsten wore it first.

Are nuns, Muslims, and parochial schools onto something when they insist on uniforms for girls? Because as St. Paul wrote in his first letter to Timothy, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." So how do you teach teen girls to do that, when our culture values celebrities wearing expensive clothes so much more than heroic women doing good deeds? Dannah Gresh takes a stab at answering this tough question.

No comments: