Grace Personified on American Idol

Acerbic Simon Cowell was humbled tonight by a beautiful act of forgiveness offered by Mandisa Hundley, a woman he had denigrated as obese (telling her that "we need a bigger stage" when she appeared). This lovely gospel singer admitted tonight that he had hurt her, and then boldly told America that if Jesus could die on the cross for the bad things she had done, she could certainly forgive Cowell. Fox left the soundbyte about Jesus in the show, possibly because Mandisa is another numinous black woman, and her lovely smile and act of grace communicated more across the airwaves about the power of the Cross than many a sermon preached by a smooth televangelist.

As USA Today reports, "of the 166 six-network programs so far this season, Idol draws 135% more teens than any other show and 134% more teen girls." This episode gives us a great chance to talk about forgiveness with the teens in our lives: "Why was Mandisa able to forgive Simon? Could you have done the same?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was blessed by your article about Anerican Idol. My daughter tried out for it last year and got down to the final pick in DC. She decided to sing a Chirstian song. SHe was told that she had a beautiful voice but that religion does not sell. I will continue to pary for them because without Christ there would be no American Idol. Good for the woman that stood up for Jesus.

~Mark said...

That moment sent chills up my spine and brought a tear to my eye at seeing the glory of God revealed! When was the last time Simon apologized for anything he'd said? That was outstanding!

Mitali Perkins said...

It reminded me once again how desperate every human heart is for grace ...

Beverly said...

I have never watched American Idol, but I happened to be at my daughter's house the evening that this episode was on.

That response to Simon was beautiful. I would pray that my mouth might be filled with such love and grace, that when reviled or made fun of because of being a Christian or anything else, that I could answer with that same sweet spirit