In the same way, those of us who are trying to raise ambassadors for Christ should use the church calendar to nurture a strong Kingdom identity in our children. As we lead them through the foreign world of popular culture, seasonal celebrations that connect us to the church universal are a must. Lent is a great place to start.
Family-oriented 2006 versions of fasting, almsgiving, and prayer (traditional Lenten practices) include:
- fasting from television or other things like noise or media.
- welcoming strangers around the table (we're trying that this year)
- changing the way we relate to money
- forty days of family devotions related to the lectionary
- simplifying life, or
- jump-starting a family ministry to those without a home.