Why Your Teen Needs A Big Glomp

I was hypertasking when my main squeezie came over to glomp me. I said, "That was the awesome," and gave him a shaka ...
No, this isn't a scene from a steamy romance novel in progress -- it's me showing off some newly-acquired urban vocabulary. (Translation: While I was talking on the phone and writing my blog entry at the same time, my husband came over to give me a much appreciated hug.) Don't worry, I'm not midlifing. (Definition: an older person using urban slang in everyday conversation -- not yet in the urban dictionary; see midlife crisis.) I'm trying to get a glimpse of the challenges faced by the two diplomats we're sending out there, hoping they'll represent the King well in their generation.

Browsing the urban dictionary can be an enlightening -- and shocking -- way to gain insight into the world view of youth culture's natives. Skim through the definitions for "Jesus" (if you can stomach the mocking), for example; these are the kinds of responses young adults face when they tell people they follow Him. You'll also find some creative attempts to wield this new language and communicate age-old truths of the Bible. (It also comes in handy when you're trying to understand the lyrics to hit songs; that's how I discovered last year that a grill isn't a pseudonym for a body part.)

So if you're trying learn more about the place of their posting, why not sign up to get the dictionary's word of the day in your mailbox? WARNING: the content is sure to be edgy and even outrightly rank at times, but understanding the language of the stranger or alien for Love's sake is always all grapes, right?

No comments: