Red and Yellow, Black and White

You remember the song ... red and yellow, black and white ... they are precious in His sight ... Jesus loves the little children of the world. Sadly, humanity doesn't come close to demonstrating or celebrating such color-blind love.

I recently bought a 7-minute film written and directed by a sixteen-year-old filmmaker, Kiri Davis, and produced by Media Matters. Be prepared. It may not be comfortable to watch, but we must face the truth about racism if we hope to engage a generation that is grappling with it in a new way.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. I just blogged
about my responses to this and some other thoughts on racism I've been having. I linked my readers back to this video.

PEZmama said...

Came over here from Jennifer's post at Snapshot.

The video is interesting, for sure. But I wonder if offering color-blind love is the answer. Perhaps, instead of pretending that people don't come in different colors, we should be realistic about the fact that do and that we're all worth loving.

I guess I'm saying that there is a subtle, but meaningful difference between the following:

"you are color X and that doesn't matter to me I love you anyway" ("anyway" implying that the love wasn't deserved in the first place.)

And

"you are color X and it is beautiful. I love you because you are you."